About Our Founder
LAR Counseling Services in Holland, Michigan was established in 2005 by Lupita A. Reyes, LMSW. She has been in the field of social work for more than 30 years and has been providing culturally appropriate counseling, outreach, support, and mental health services to at-risk low-income individuals and families in the counties of Ottawa, Allegan, Kent, and Muskegon of West Michigan.
Ms. Reyes has a history of successfully establishing and directing programs in the LAR Counseling Services’ service area. She is widely recognized throughout the State of Michigan and locally. LAR Counseling Services provides its services in either Spanish or English.
Ms. Reyes is the first Latina woman in the Holland, Michigan area to receive the Holland Chamber of Commerce prestigious Athena Award in 1995 along with many other awards recognizing her for leadership, service to the community, and to the field of social work.
- BS in Social Work (Grand Valley State University in Allendale, Michigan)
- Master of Social Work (Western Michigan University in Kalamazoo, Michigan)
- Master of Management (Aquinas College in Grand Rapids, Michigan)
She is a member of the following:
- West Coast Chamber of Commerce
- National Association of Social Workers
- Lakeshore Latina Professional Network
Lupita A. Reyes, LMSW, MM
Meet the Team
Our team has extensive experience in providing culturally competent counseling services. We are fluent in English and Spanish.
Alma Valenzuela, LMSW, MPA, CCJP, CCM
Alma Valenzuela has dedicated most of her life to serving our community from both a criminal justice as well as a treatment perspective. She earned a bachelor’s degree from Western Michigan University and has also earned two masters’ degrees, social work and public administration, from the Grand Valley State University.
Alma is a licensed master of social work and a certified criminal justice professional. In 2017, Alma was presented with the Holland Young Professional of the Year Award. She currently serves as an executive board member of the Michigan Association of Treatment Court Professionals and serves on several other national and statewide committees aimed at improving our community.
Yvette Chiquito has over 10 years of experience as a mental health professional. Fluent in Spanish, she has provided bilingual and bicultural mental health services to the Spanish-speaking community. Her areas of expertise include crisis, ADHD, anxiety, depression, behavioral issues, case management, and advocacy. Yvette also has specialized training in parent management and working with children and families who have experienced trauma and attachment disruptions. She is a member of the Lakeshore Latina Professional Network.
- Master’s Degree and Advanced Generalist Program in Social Work (Grand Valley State University)
- Bachelor of Social Work, Generalist Practice (Grand Valley State University)
- American Society of Addiction Medicine Criteria for Adults and Adolescents
- Marijuana Trends: Huffing, Dabbing, Deoping, Stashing, Clothing, and Legalization Influences
- Seeking Safety
- Motivational Interviewing
- Trauma-Focused Cognitive Behavioral Therapy
- Dialectical Behavioral Therapy Skills Training